Preparing for winter commuting
Throughout the winter season, snow and ice can affect driving conditions across the UK, increasing the risk of road traffic accidents.
We’ve put together our top five tips for staying safe this winter:
- Forward planning is essential. Before setting off, make sure you check the weather app on your phone. If it’s particularly snowy or icy, only travel if absolutely necessary.
- Leave the house earlier. If you need to travel, make sure you have enough time to thoroughly clear your car windscreen, windows, bonnet and roof of any snow. Snow falling from your car could obstruct other drivers.
- Anticipate longer travelling times. If the weather is poor, your journey may be more congested than usual – avoid rushing as this can be dangerous.
- Take heed of the weather conditions. Leave a suitable gap for the vehicle in front and avoid braking or steering sharply. It can take longer to stop in snow and ice.
- Pack the essentials. During the winter months it is a good idea to keep a ‘winter pack’ in your car for any unforeseen events – including warm clothing, a bottle of water, a shovel, a torch and a blanket.
We’re here to support you. For more information and advice, call 0113 232 1066 or visit firstname.lastname@example.org.